I have installed Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop but I noticed that it drained a lot more of the battery than it should do. Apparently there are a couple of fixes to this:
- Tweaks To Extend The Battery Life Of Intel Linux Notebooks
- Linux Kernel Power Issue / Overheat Workaround
To add pcie_aspm=force, i915.i915_enable_rc6=1, i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 and i915.lvds_downclock=1 to GRUB, do the following steps:
- Open the terminal and run: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1
so it should look somewhat like:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1″
- Close gedit and save the document.
- Now run the following line in the terminal to update GRUB:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
- After a restart of your computer the new settings should get activated.