To make a virtual machine in VirtualBox appear as a regular computer in the LAN:
- Open VirtualBox Manager.
- Right click on one of the machines that you have set up and click on Settings.
- Click on Network in the left sidebar.
- Set Attached to: to Bridged Adapter.
When you now start up the machine it should appear in the router as an additional connected computer.
Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 10.04 in Windows 7 with VirtualBox, and it works great. But the problem I faced was that I could only pick 2 different screeen resolutions; 640×480 and 800×600.
This problem was easily solved by doing these steps:
- Start Ubuntu in VirtualBox.
- In the new window, open the Devices-menu and pick Install guest additions…
- A CD-icon should now pop up on the desktop in Ubuntu – double click it.
- Finish the installation.
- Maybe restart Ubuntu.
- Done! Now you can resize the Ubuntu window to whatever you want, and it will reconfigure itself. Just drag the border of the window.